Thursday, March 3, 2016

Day 24

Around 3:30am I was awoken by some rustling. Naturally my first thought was to start smacking my pack just in case something was trying to eat into it. But nothing was there. Then I noticed a strong sent. Like sweet nail polish remover. What the heck is that? Is it all the manzanita trees around me? maybe the flowers sensing the sun getting close to rising? I tried to piece it together, what was this pretty poignant smell. I put my head back down in my sleeping bag and closed my eyes. Beginning to go back to sleep. Thats when I started to hear the wrestling again but not by my pack.. in the bushes not too far from me. I quickly turned my light back on and saw a little black and white body go running off 8ft away from me. I threw some rocks in its general direction to help lead it as far away from me as possible. Do they have skunks in Arizona? I thought. It didn't spray me thank goodness but it definitely has left a lingering aroma. Sweet, skunky nail polish remover. Turns out it did get me a little, or at least it rub up against my hat. So this morning after I reawoke. I started hiking till the sun was up enough that it was warm. Then I washed my pack and hat with toothpaste. It worked a little... or at least it left a minty sent on top of it skunky smell. Then around 10:45am I got on to the Divide Trail, which was the wrong trail. Down hill 2 miles, then back up 2 miles. Perfect just what I needed on an already time sensitive day. It didn't take long until this happened again. Off trail and on a completely unmaintained ridge. Bullfrog Ridge. I was already a mile and a half into it and wasn't going to back track again. So I had to do some sketchy bushwacking and rock scrambling. It wasn't fun and was really exhausting. I even had to pull out my compass to set a barring. This bushwacking business killed 3 hours of my day. I was happy to be back on trail before dark. With only an hour and a half of day light left. It was obvious if I wanted to make it to town tomorrow in time for the post office. Then I'd have to gather some strength and do some night hiking. So I did. Im 15 miles from town and with all my detours and time wasted I could of been there tonight. It feels great to be off my feet. All in all today I hiked about 33 miles with about 8 of them being pointless. I can't wait for town tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment