Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Day 33

What a day.. starting around 3am it started to snow, so I moved myself under a nearby tree and covered up with my Tyvek to stay dry. I went back to sleep and woke to a fresh dusting of snow and a chilly breeze. After some breakfast I covered up and started to hike, just as some more snow flurries began. They didn't last long but the chilly breeze stuck around till late afternoon. While I was drying out my gear with the breaks in the clouds, 3 section hikers came walking up going south. We chatted for a while about gear and ankle support. 2 of them were from AZ and the other from Canada. They had completed around 500 miles of trail in sections. I find that super impressive. It takes a lot of dedication to come back year after year and connect your steps. Kudos to you boys you're almost there. I continued on and found some more water at the seasonal Lockwood cattle tank. Then made it to the Kaibab National Forest. I got to see two of the section hikers once again as they were on there way to get there drop off truck. They offered me some water but I had just topped off. Said my fairly wells to them as I followed the trail into the trees. Once I got there I had a great sandwich and took an hour nap out of the wind. When I woke the sky had cleared and it was time for my final push. About 5 more miles to the Moqui Stage Stop. which was 1 of 3 stage stops in the 1800's for people getting carted from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon for $20. I decided 28 miles was enough for the day and tossed out my bed roll here for night.

No comments:

Post a Comment